The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has established new Firework Laws. The changing of the law has led some people to believe that there are no restrictions on consumer fireworks. Two of the areas that we would like to highlight are;
1) consumer fireworks cannot be used within 150 feet of an occupied structure, and 2) consumer fireworks cannot be used on public or private property without express permission of the property owner. Please familiarize yourself with the laws below.
(1) Any combustible or explosive composition or any substance or combination of substances which is intended to
produce visible or audible effects by combustion, is suitable for use by the public, complies with the construction,
performance, composition and labeling requirements promulgated by the Consumer Products Safety Commission in
16 CFR (relating to commercial practices) or any successor regulation and complies with the provisions for “consumer
fireworks” as defined in APA 87-1 or any successor standard, the sale, possession and use of which shall be permitted
throughout this Commonwealth.
(2) The term does not include devices as “ground and hand-held sparkling devices,” “novelties” or “toy caps” in APA
87-1 or any successor standard, the sale, possession and use of which shall be permitted at all times throughout this
- 9404. Use of consumer fireworks
Effective: October 30, 2017
(a) Conditions.–A person who is at least 18 years of age and meets the requirements of this article may purchase, possess
and use consumer fireworks.
(b) Prohibitions.–A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge:
(1) Consumer fireworks on public or private property without the express permission of the owner.
(2) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices within, or throw consumer fireworks or sparkling devices from, a motor
vehicle or building.
(3) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices into or at a motor vehicle or building or at another person.
(4) Consumer fireworks or sparkling devices while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance
or another drug.
(5) Consumer fireworks within 150 feet of an occupied structure.
Springettsbury Township Park Rules and Regulations
Use of explosives or explosive devices, fireworks, sparklers, hot air balloons, rockets, guns, remote control air planes or vehicles, rifles, air guns, bows, slingshots or any similar items for non Park & Recreation sponsored events is prohibited.